St Elphin's logo

Chapel Gallery & Information.....

 

Visit from the Archbishop of Canterbury

"The Archbishop of Canterbury visited in April 1972 when he held an informal Forum in the Stopford Hall one morning and representatives from sixteen schools and Training Colleges in (North) Derbyshire were invited to attend. This visit was a great honour for the School and we all found the Forum most interesting and enlightening. The same evening the Headmistress, the Chaplain and the Head Girls with Miss Lavender attended a rededication of Derby Cathedral at which the Archbishop gave the Address." [Source: St Elphin's School 1972, No. 90, pp 9].

The photo shows Miss Robinson (Headmistress), the Archbishop of Canterbury (the Rev. Michael Ramsey) and, I am guessing, the Bishop of Derby. The photo was kindly supplied by the Longstone History Group who had been given various non-family papers by Miss Reeves' family following her passing in 2015. There was also another photo published in the newspaper – see Press

Archibishop of Canterbury & Miss Robinson

 

The Chapel

St Elphin's School Chapel, circa early 1960s. Photo: Photo-Reportage Ltd - supplied by Patty BriggsSt Elphin's School chapel photo

Below: Chapel
Photo:
David Morris (January 2005)
Below: Chapel windows
Photo: David Morris (January 2005)
St Elphin's School chapel photo St Elphin's School chapel windows photo

Below: Photo: Doris Chan
St Elphin's School chapel photo

 

Below: Details of the stained glass panels which had been installed in the Chapel at St Elphin's School in 1994, as part of the School's 150th anniversary celebrations. The windows were given to St Elphin's Church in Warrington following the school's closure in March 2005. Please click on the image below for a larger version. If you scroll up you can see the windows still in situ at St Elphin's in January 2005.


Chapel Kneelers

It is understood that a number of different designs for the chapel kneelers were introduced, with the top being done as a tapestry. We are currently seeking photographs of as many as possible so if anyone has a kneeler and/or photograph of one please let Liz Donlan know. The first one has been provided by Christine Tew.

 

Leaflets

LEFT: The first is a Brief History and Guide of the Chapel of Our Lady and St Elphin. It makes reference to the old stable block being converted into the School Chapel in circa 1916. Kindly supplied by Carrie Wareham.

RIGHT: The second is details of the new Stained Glass Window which had been donated by the Old Girls' Guild. Kindly supplied by Mary Goodman.

Please click on either image to see the details in full.

 



Confirmation

The majority of girls were confirmed in St Elphin's Chapel and, on confirmation day, were usually bought a bible or prayer book by either their parents or Godparents. Jo Salsbury-Halliday (Gresford 1961-1968) was confirmed by the Bishop of Repton on 14th May, 1964. Below are her gifts.

Below are six Powys House girls who were confirmed in the summer of 1963:

Left: Each confirmation candidate received "A Communicant's Manual" individually inscribed by Miss P M Robinson (Maud), Head Mistress 1957-1975. The following photographs were supplied by Liz Mumford-Hall (1961-1968, Powys).

 

 

Back to top
Back to Bricks 'n Mortar