St Elphin's logo

The Classrooms Gallery.....

Over the years the classrooms moved around the site and, indeed, many of the classrooms had different uses over the years. For example, a dining room became a biology laboratory (and is now a gym for St Elphin's Park!); a chemistry laboratory changed to Wilson house room; a gym became an art room; and so on! Please let Liz know if any of the photos of classrooms below had a different use during your time at St Elphin's.

During Liz's time at St Elphin's (1967 to 1973) the classrooms were in wooden huts. There were 4 rows of these huts – each with 2 classrooms. The bottom row, in front of the white car, were for Lower IV and then worked upwards to Upper IV, Lower V, Upper VI. Liz's understanding is that they were temporary but, to her knowledge, they were still there in 1990! Photo: St Elphin's School.



Left: LtoR: Heather Bond, Miranda Toach-Bond and Alison Bond, outside one of the wooden classrooms - circa 1958. (Click on photo for larger version). Miranda was in Powys House from 1954 to 1960.

The skirts have been a topic of conversation recently on the Facebook group as, in the mid to late 60s, they were changed to a pleated style and the straight style seems to have been preferred.

Thanks to Miranda for providing the photo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 16th October, 1969 a new teaching block was opened by

 

 

 



Back to top
Back to Home page