St Elphin's School logo


 

Additional Houses.....

Whilst going through the various magazines information is coming to light on other Houses which have been and gone over the years. For the time being we will list whatever information we have gleaned from the magazines, until we feel there is sufficient information for each House below to have its own page.

Fletcher House
1955/56: House Captain - Marie Pepper. Fletcher House won the Hockey Cup (jointly with Powys) and the Junior Netball Cup. The full report can be seen in the 1956 (No. 74) magazine.

1956/57: House Captain - Susanne Blackwell. Fletcher House won the Cricket (joint with Powys) and Tennis Cups. The full report can be seen in the 1957 (No. 75) magazine.

1957/58: House Captain - Gillian Street. Fletcher House won the Badminton and Drama Cups. The full report can be seen in the 1958 (No. 76) magazine.

1958/59: House Mistresses - Miss Bull and Mrs Parry; House Captains - Mary Else and Anne Howard. "When the new arrangements in the house system were introduced at Easter, Mrs Parry and I were delighted to become House Mistresss of Fletcher. This House, like the boarding houses, was also given its House Room, the sitting-room beside the Art Room, and its garden."

1959/60: House Mistress - Miss Parker; House Captain - Vivienne Seldon.

1960/61: House Mistress - Mrs Taylor; House Captains - Kathleen Mosley & Jane Wright.

1961/62: House Mistress - Mrs Taylor; House Captain - Elizabeth Linnell.

1962/63: House Mistress - Mrs Sylvester; House Captain - Ruth Dean. Won the Drama Cup.

1964/34: House Mistress - Miss Castle; House Captain - Joan Woodiwiss

Greenall House
1924: House Captain – Margaret Hudson

Orchards House
The 1959 magazine reports that Gresford House joined forces with Kennedy House to become 'Orchards House'. However, the 1960 magazine reports that it was disbanded when Gresford and Kennedy each became independent Houses. The full report of Orchards House can be seen in the 1959 (No. 77) magazine.

"After a busy week of removals, with a wary eye on potential furniture-raiders from other houses, the Staff were ready to welcome Orchards House into its new home on September, 22nd. There are fifty-four members, drawn from the Upper IVs and upwards in Gresford and Kennedy Houses, and with the exception of an "overflow" of eighteen in Back Landing and the Sanatorium the House sleeps in the Orchards Wing - as do the Staff, who have learned gradually to accept gurgling water pipes, wailing cats and hooting owls as normal sounds of the night."

When Orchards House was disbanded Kennedy was to have Rotherwood as their house, with Mademoiselle Keller as House Mistress, and Gresford stayed in Orchards with Miss Lamb as their House Mistress.

School House
The 1959 magazine reports that Powys House joined forces with Wilson House to become School House'. However, the 1960 magazine reports that it was disbanded when Powys and Wilson each became independent Houses. The full report of School House can be seen in the 1959 (No. 77) magazine.

"The Summer Term of 1958 saw the inauguration of the House system. For several days before term began, school was a scene of wild confusion as the prospective House mistresses roamed around the building in search of furniture to make their House rooms as attractive as possible. The rule of the day became: "Possession is nine points of the law.

School House is a combination of Powys and Wilson. School House is based on Central. Room 3 is our House Room with a view over the Tennis Courts and the House Garden. Dormitories are on Top Central with an overflow to Back Landing."

Return to top of page
Return to Houses